When we first began sheltering in place, I immediately began focusing on silver linings – the best way I knew of coping with the reality and utter shock of what was happening.
Spending more time at home felt like a blessing in disguise and I was thrilled to finally have a chance to rest, sleep in, bond deeper with my family and catch up on laundry.
But now that we are seven weeks into this quarantine, I have to say, it’s getting a bit much and the doldrums are starting to set in. Here are 5 things I’ve found to be helpful in this situation:
Five Ways To Beat The Blues
1. Get Fresh Air and Exercise. I made a point to get us all out on a family bike ride every single day (unless it’s raining) and I have to say this is my number one remedy for staying sane in quarantine. Fresh air and exercise help clear the mind, boost mood and are essential to keeping your immune system strong, so make sure you are getting some as often as possible. Always remember to appreciate yourself afterwards – self-gratitude is an important part of self-love.
2. If you’ve never taken a Gratitude Walk, give it a try. What better way to combine two great immune boosters—gratitude and Mother Nature! Start by taking a few deep breaths. Notice the sounds, smells, and depending where you live, you might notice new signs of spring. This helps get you in the present moment. Say thank you for trees, flowers, grass. Say thank you for birds chirping and any other sounds you hear. Next focus on your body. Thank your lungs for breathing, your heart for beating, your legs for walking and your eyes for seeing. Think of 5 people you are grateful for and 5 more things as you walk. If you’re walking with a friend, exchange gratitudes with that person. When you are finished, appreciate yourself for getting exercise and fresh air and for focusing on all the positives that exist in this moment. Make this a daily or weekly ritual — a very special and sacred time where you remember how blessed you are.
3. Try Meditation. For the past 7 weeks I’ve meditated every single morning. I absolutely love how I feel when I meditate and I focus on receiving love from above. I sit quietly and say this affirmation, “I am love, I am love, I am love, I am love, I am the highest vibration there is.” While I do this, I envision white light shining down on me, filling my body from head to toe with love. It’s delicious and it fills me up with positivity so I can go about my day feeling strong. If meditating does not come easy for you, try doing a guided meditation. You can download a free gratitude meditation here.
4. Write a Thank You Card to someone you love. Expressing gratitude with a handwritten card is a powerful way to tap into the juiciness of gratitude for both the giver and the receiver. Check out this new project I am working on with my son called The 100 Million Thank You Project to help you get started!
5. Take your Vitamin G daily! Download the Gratitude To Bliss app and make a commitment to use it for the next 30 days. Set a reminder on your phone so you don’t forget. Remember, gratitude is the antidote to stress so be sure you’re getting this essential nutrient each and every day!
Please post in the comments your favorite ways to beat the blues!